Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Day the Prophet Came to Town....















So, the day had finally arrived, May 22, 2010. The anticipation in the air was something I will never forget. All of the kids were so excited and the adults were feeling the same way too. The time finally came when they directed everyone to take their seats on the field. I will never forget the incredible reverence that was there when President Monson arrived. It was amazing that that many people could be so quiet, they didn't want to miss anything. He shook hands and talked to everyone before he even took the stand. Then when he addressed the kids, there was a feeling so strong it was undeniable that this man was the Prophet of God. WOW!

I myself was so excited, just knowing that the people that mean the most to me were there for that moment. The Prophet actually came to Thatcher and it only got better from there. The kids put on a show that was so polished, you would have thought they were all professionals. All of the many hours of work and sweat (literally it was hot during the practices) all paid off because they performed for their Prophet and it was really special. At the end when the Angel Moroni was lifted and the kids all put their white capes on, it was AMAZING!! Dr. Lunt, Patty and Ken Raines and everyone else involved really outdid themselves.

I will forever be grateful for this day and for the experiences that my family was able to have. Dr. Lunt kept saying that this would be a life changing experience. I know that it was for my family. To hear the excitment in Cassi's voice when she told me she had the opportunity to shake the Prophet's hand was something I will never forget. The light in her eyes and the smile on her face is forever etched in my memory and in my heart. Koby was also soooo close to President Monson and his life will also be forever changed because of this moment. Mandi and I were on the field right behind the stage helping the elite dancers with their quick costume changes. It was a great opportunity for all of us to be involved and together. Mom, Dad, and Camron were in the audience right in front of the podium where everthing was taking place. They too were touched by everything that happened that night.

President Monson was so funny, one of the pictures shows him waving a red flag, he actually took it from one of the kids down front. He was following along with the kids as they were waving the flags during the production. The kids were supposed to be following a director in the stands but I don't think one eye was watching Tia Palmer, she was getting upstaged by the Prophet and I doubt that she cared one bit. haha He was so playful and cute with the kids. You can tell he is just a big kid at heart. Also before he left the stand when everything was over, he paused for a moment, looked out over the crowd of kids and hugged himself, like he was giving each of them a great big hug! That was special, you could feel his love for all of us especially strong in that moment.

I'm sad it's over but so grateful to be living here at this time. We Thank Thee Oh Go For a Prophet and all of us from the Gila Valley are especially grateful for the reason we were all gathered to celebrate. The Gila Valley has a temple!!!

P.S. I really need to thank all of our friends at Hollady's Photo for taking so many wonderful pictures and for sharing them with all of us! Go check them out on facebook and you can see thousands of pictures they took over that weekend. They are awesome.

No comments: